This building which originated from the Kota Setar Palace is a
wooden building that was built by HRH Sultan Muhammad Jiwa Zainal
Adilin Muazzam Shah, the 19th Sultan of Kedah (1710-1778), who was
the founder of Alor Star town in 1735. This building had undergone
demolitions several times due to attacks by the Bugis (1770) and
The concrete building was completed during the reign of HRH Sultan
Ahmad Tajuddin Mukarram Shah (1854-1879). His Royal Highness had
once stayed in this palace with his queen, Wan Hajar Wan Ismail
who was also known as "Mak Wan Besar". Therefore, this
palace is also known as the "Mak Wan Besar Palace".
YTM Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra was also born adjacent to this palace
(the Pagoda building, which no longer exist today) on 8 February,
1903 and once grew up in this palace while his father the late HRH
Sultan Abdul Hamid and his mother Mak Che Manjalara resided there.
This palace is also renowned as the "Pelamin Palace"
when the space of the palace was extended to as a pavilion and additional
rooms when HRH Sultan Abdul Hamid Halim Shah wanted to marry off
his five princes and princesses. This grand wedding ceremony lasted
for three months in 1904. After 1941, this palace was used as a
school and an office for several organizations including the office
for the St. John and the Scout movements. On 25 July 1983, this
palace was declared the "Kedah Royal Museum".