The Old Session Court building is located at Jalan Raja, Alor
Star. The site of this old session court was originally the site
of a small
mosque (surau) owned by a religious man, Tuan Guru Haji Salleh,
who originated from Penaga, Seberang Perai.
Tuan Guru Haji Salleh had once opened his religious settlement
in that area. He had also served as adviser to the late HRH Sultan
Ahmad Tajuddin Mukarram Shah (1854 -1879) and appointed a religious
teacher in the palace. This small mosque became the place for trials
on cases related to Islamic Religious Law such as those pertaining
to marriages, divorces and others.
The Session Court was built on the site of this small mosque in
1931 when Kedah was under British patronage. The architectural design
of this building is similar to the High Court building that has
Roman architectural characteristics.