This building is located at the Medan Bandar which is adjacent
to the Royal Museum and the Balai Besar. The construction of this
building started in 1941 during the British regime. Before the Second
World War, this building was occupied by several important offices
including the office of HRH Tuanku Sultan Kedah.
After the war, this building was once the Agriculture Office, headed
by Tunku Yaakob, the Education Office, the Information Office as
well as the Land Office.
This building was also the District Office of Kota Setar and currently
occupied by the Kedah State Islamic Council Office. This building
was named Wan Muhammad Saman Building in honour of the excellent
contributions made by Dato' Wan Muhammad Saman towards the administration
of this State. He was once appointed as the Prime Minister of Kedah
State during the reign of HRH Sultan Ahmad Tajuddin Mukarram Shah
(1854-1879) and during the reign of the HRH Sultan Hamid Halim Shah
(1882-1943). If we look at the structure of this building, we recognise
that it has the characteristics of the Colonial architecture.